Hamlet Train Station about 1900. The station was on the north side of
the tracks near to the intersection of Old Stump Rd. and Bridge Pl. (both
streets were, at one time or another, a.k.a. Railroad Street/Ave.) The
Brookhaven Depot was built in 1884, it's agency closed in 1932. The
building was remodeled in 1944, and the station was closed as a station
stop on 6 Oct 1958, the same year as East Moriches' and many others.
The line through Brookhaven Hamlet was relatively late in arrival, when the south shore line was extended from Patchogue to Eastport in 1881. Prior to that time the East End -- Eastport to Bridgehampton -- was served by a spur from the Main Line south from Manorville to Eastport (this spur was abandoned in 1939). The line now know as the Montauk Branch was not fully completed to Montauk until 1895.
(Photo Courtesy: Bellport-Brookhaven Historical Society)
South Country Rd. Train Viaduct, looking north (about 1900). The train station (above) was about 1/4 mile east (right) of this overpass. Bridge Pl. (Railroad Ave.) is to the right just beyond the bridge. South Country Rd. in 1900 was unpaved, and there was no development visible on the north side of the tracks.
(Top Photo Courtesy: Post-Morrow Foundation Historical Collection)
|1910. Thought to be the first day
trains came through the East River tunnels direct from Pennsylvania
Station. Prior to that time, passengers from Long Island had to transfer to
a ferry at Long Island City to get to Manhattan. The engines through the
tunnels were electric; it was typical at
that time to have an engine switch to steam at Jamaica, as opposed to the
norm today where the passengers switch trains.
Destination of this train was Speonk.
(Photos Courtesy: Post-Morrow Foundation Historical Collection)