Home Search Print Add Bookmark
#021.038.01: Old Methodist Church Plot, looking southeast.
The Methodists in Brookhaven Hamlet established a small cemetery sometime during the mid-19th century. This cemetery became a de facto community cemetery. It was located on the west side of the Beaver Dam Road, about opposite the location of the modern Bellport High School on property now owned by the Old South Haven Presbyterian Church. This site eventual became incorporated into the James H. Post estate, and sometime around 1900-1910 Post arranged to have the graves stones and remains moved to the newly established Oaklawn cemetery. A few families requested that their family members be reinterred elsewhere, including the Woodland cemetery in Bellport, NY, but most bodies were removed to the Oaklawn cemetery in Brookhaven, NY, although some apparently were reinterred in family plots already established there. This plot appears to contain most of the gravestones of the original Methodist site, perhaps arranged much as they were originally arranged at the old site. Records indicate that four unmarked and unknown bodies also were moved to this plot.
In addition to the bodies interred in this plot, some bodies were reinterred in other plots at the Oaklawn cemetery as families established their own new family plots.
Plot: 038. Fletcher (From Methodist Cemetery)
|Date||23 April 2009|
There had been a small Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery on the west side of Beaver Dam Road, across from the modern Bellport High School, then on the James H. Post estate. This cemetery was abandoned in the early 20th century, and most of the graves were disinterred and headstones moved to Oaklawn Cemetery by Post (a few, at the request of their families, were moved elsewhere).
Many old headstones, and perhaps remains, from other local family burying grounds were relocated in to the Oaklawn Cemetery, including a Rose family burying ground (apparently a.k.a. the Swezey cemetery) located near to the Brookhaven Free Library on Beaver Dam Road (at the northeast corner of Library Lane) and a Homan family burying ground in South Haven. These sites appear to have been largely maintained as separate plots at Oaklawn, perhaps as approximations of their original configurations.
This is still an active cemetery maintained by the Oaklawn Cemetery Association. Mailing Address: PO Box 415, Brookhaven, New York 11719. Phone: (631) 286-0204, John E. Barry.
This cemetery has Historic Sites Reference ID Br01.3-S and is #21 on the Town of Brookhaven Historian's master inventory of cemeteries. Gravesites in this listing are first identified by cemetery (#21), then by lot number and a family name (e.g., "#021.001.Corson:" means cemetery 21, lot 1, Corson family site).
Each identified gravesite has a link to a datasheet containing research facts on the individual(s). In some cases, Oaklawn cemetery records indicate that a person was interred at a site, but no grave marker could be found. These are identified with aicon. In other cases, a monument was found, but the records of the cemetery association do not indicate that the person, either as a body or cremated remains, were actually interred on the site (these instances are often memorial monuments.)
Description revised: 29 August 2013
The Hamlet People Database is maintained by
John Deitz. Copyright © 2011.