Home Search Print Add Bookmark
#021.038.01: Old Methodist Church Plot, looking southeast.
The Methodists in Brookhaven Hamlet established a small cemetery sometime during the mid-19th century. This cemetery became a de facto community cemetery. It was located on the west side of the Beaver Dam Road, about opposite the location of the modern Bellport High School on property now owned by the Old South Haven Presbyterian Church. This site eventual became incorporated into the James H. Post estate, and sometime around 1900-1910 Post arranged to have the graves stones and remains moved to the newly established Oaklawn cemetery. A few families requested that their family members be reinterred elsewhere, including the Woodland cemetery in Bellport, NY, but most bodies were removed to the Oaklawn cemetery in Brookhaven, NY, although some apparently were reinterred in family plots already established there. This plot appears to contain most of the gravestones of the original Methodist site, perhaps arranged much as they were originally arranged at the old site. Records indicate that four unmarked and unknown bodies also were moved to this plot.
In addition to the bodies interred in this plot, some bodies were reinterred in other plots at the Oaklawn cemetery as families established their own new family plots.
Plot: 038. Fletcher (From Methodist Cemetery)
|Date||23 April 2009|
There had been a small Methodist Episcopal Church Cemetery on the west side of Beaver Dam Road, across from the modern Bellport High School, then on the James H. Post estate. This cemetery was abandoned in the early 20th century, and most of the graves were disinterred and headstones moved to Oaklawn Cemetery by Post (a few, at the request of their families, were moved elsewhere).
Many old headstones, and perhaps remains, from other local family burying grounds were relocated in to the Oaklawn Cemetery, including a Rose family burying ground (apparently a.k.a. the Swezey cemetery) located near to the Brookhaven Free Library on Beaver Dam Road (at the northeast corner of Library Lane) and a Homan family burying ground in South Haven. These sites appear to have been largely maintained as separate plots at Oaklawn, perhaps as approximations of their original configurations.
This is still an active cemetery maintained by the Oaklawn Cemetery Association. Mailing Address: PO Box 415, Brookhaven, New York 11719. Phone: (631) 286-0204, John E. Barry.
The information on the gravesites for the Oaklawn cemetery is being completely revised with the assistance and encouragement of the Oaklawn Cemetery Association. Since most of the individuals interred in the Oaklawn cemetery have a strong associations with Brookhaven hamlet, it is our intention to incorporate most of these individual in the Hamlet People database to the extent that information becomes available. Since this is likely to take some time, the information on these pages and their associated linked pages will be updated as the work progresses.
This cemetery has Historic Sites Reference ID Br01.3-S and is #21 on the Town of Brookhaven Historian's master inventory of cemeteries. Gravesites in this listing are first identified by cemetery (#21), then by lot number and a family name (e.g., "#021.001.Corson:" means cemetery 21, lot 1, Corson family site). Older entries, not yet updated, are listed in approximate alphabetical order following the newer entries with the previously described convention.
To search for a particular individual, select the "search" tab at the top of the page.
Each identified gravesite has a link to a datasheet containing research facts on the individual(s). In some cases, Oaklawn cemetery records indicate that a person was interred at a site, but no grave marker could be found. In other cases, no image of the grave marker is currently available but will be provided as time allows. These are identified with aicon.
Description revised: 18 December 2012
The Hamlet People Database is maintained by
John Deitz. Copyright © 2011.