Home Search Print Add Bookmark
|Birth||18 Aug 1831 [3, 5]|
|Residence||1858||Fire Place (now Brookhaven Hamlet), Brookhaven, Suffolk, NY |
|249 South Country Rd. (modern address, Historic Structure Inventory ID Br11)|
|Census||1860||Fire Place (now Brookhaven Hamlet), Brookhaven, Suffolk, NY |
|real estate valued at $700|
|Census||1880||Brookhaven, Brookhaven, Suffolk, NY |
|Died||19 May 1912 |
|Buried||Brookhaven (Oaklawn Cemetery), Brookhaven, Suffolk, NY |
|Person ID||I3612||Brookhaven & South Haven Hamlets|
|Last Modified||20 Dec 2012|
|Father||Jacob Baldwin Smith, "Rock" ^, b. 17 Jun 1807, NY , d. 28 Apr 1876, Brookhaven, Brookhaven, Suffolk, NY|
|Mother||Eliza Davis, ^, b. 11 Mar 1810, d. Yes, date unknown|
|Documents||Jacob Baldwin Smith homestead.
Amy B. Smith de Arcas's "Fire Place Inn"|
.. This document is the Brookhaven/South Haven Historic Site Data Sheet Br08 for this site, including a link to a photo album. It was operated as a guest house by Amy B. Smith de Arcas, probably in the early 20th century, who called it "Fire Place Inn."
|Family ID||F276||Group Sheet|
|Family||Louise N. Seaman, ^, b. 5 Nov 1834, NY , d. 8 Jun 1890, Brookhaven, Suffolk, NY|
|Married||11 Nov 1855 [2, 3, 4]|
|Headstones||#021.050/052.Smith01: John E. & Louise N. Smith gravestone|
Plot: 050/052. W. Preston Smith & John E. Smith
|#021.050/052.Smith00: Smith Family plot.|
.. All the Smiths in this plot are descended from John Smith ("Rock Smith") of the Town of Hempstead, NY.
'The Town of Hempstead had a large quota of Smith families from it's earliest days, probably none of these related to one another originally. Among the town's proprietors and those who paid toward the patent were no less than six John Smiths. Very naturally, they were often distinguished by an added appellation. ... John Smith "Rock" (one of these six men) and his family became known as the "Rock" Smiths. This word might be spelled Rock, Roc, Rox, R or r; it might appear instead of a first name, as a middle name, as a word or symbol following the surname, and even between surname and Junior or its symbol J. This diverse usage shows it was not an alias or second surname or mother's maiden name, but merely an identifying term.' (Bailey).
Other early Long Island Smith families had similar appellations, therefore "Tangier" Smith (of Mastic and Manor of St. George), "Bull" Smith (of Smithtown,) "Black" Smith (of Merrick,) and "Blue" Smith (of Hempstead.) As to be expected, these early Smith families often intermarried, making research complicated. The origin of the appellation is uncertain, engendering much speculation among various commentators.
Much of the lineage recorded here, showing the descendancy from John "Rock" Smith to the Brookhaven Hamlet Smiths derives from a "Smith" Cedar Grove cemetery monument, Patchogue, NY. This eccentric monument, erected in 1909, purports to show the "complete" genealogy of the "Rock" Smiths from early Colonial days to Mrs. Ruth Newey Smith, who erected the monument. Hundreds of names are inscribed on the monument. This monument was transcribed by Mrs. Caleb M. Edwards, and appeared in the Long Island newspaper, Newsday, 16 Sep 1993. However, I believe this record inscribed on this monument to be fundamentally flawed -- see John Smith "Rock," Jr.
This plot is a merging of two lots (lots 050 and 052), originally assigned to W. Preston Smith and John E. Smith. William Preston Smith was a son of John Ellis Smith, but apparently was not interred here. Mrs. Preston Smith is interred at lot 116.
|Family ID||F1944||Group Sheet|
The Hamlet People Database is maintained by
John Deitz. Copyright © 2011.